Small Ball 2007

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

WIKIBALL

If you haven't combed Wikipedia for baseball terminology, you're missing a treat. I've been trying to understand better how and why pitchers pitch the way they do. I've now heard broadcasters use terms like 'cutter' and 'two-seam fastball' thousands of times, but I've not known what they're really describing.

Thanks to Wikipedia, I at least now understand some of the basic differences between sliders, sinkers, two- and four-seamers, screwballs (which sound eponymously unpleasant), the outlawed spitball, the knuckleball, and others. My favorite is the shuuto, a Japanese pitch that some say Greg Maddux uses (a variation).

While you're surfing, simulate pitches here. And here, view cool diagrams about the physics and illusions involved in breaking balls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home