Small Ball 2007

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

NICE COMEBACK IN WASHINGTON

I was surfing around a bunch of team sites and noticed that all the teams I pay attention to had lost every one of their games so far this season. That’s not so bad when it comes to teams like the Cardinals (2 losses) and Houston (2)—in fact, hot diggity!—but it also applies for the Cubs (1), San Francisco (1), Rangers (2), and Washington (2).

A couple games were in progress and it looked like the trend was going to continue. The Rangers have already given up 4 runs in the first, and the Nationals, when I first checked, were down 2 runs going into the bottom of the ninth. I’d gotten to a point last year where I couldn’t pay attention to baseball because the team I’d follow was always on the losing end. Spotting a similar trend so early this season is making me nervous, I must admit.

But then the scoreboard refreshed, and the Nationals were winners! They posted 3 runs to come from behind and win! Maybe my season isn’t doomed after all…

1 Comments:

  • If we're going to follow the Nationals at all this year, we'll have to get over the possibility of any surprises. They are in complete rebuild mode, with even less talent, power, and veteran skill than under Frank Robinson. Manny Acta has been tasked with grooming players from the farm system -- much as Florida did a couple of years ago.

    They lost Soriano (their only marquee player) to the Cubs. They lost Jose Vidro and Carlos Guillen -- their only stabs at power. Nick Johnson is recovering from injuries, which leaves only super-rookie Ryan Zimmerman as a reason to expect special events.

    I kind of like watching their games because I'm not familiar with how a team rebuilds itself. I'm accustomed to entrenched teams like the Cubbies and Giants, not to a bunch of nobodies who look like they started shaving in the off-season.

    I'm looking forward to '09 or so, when the Nats' smashing new park is a year old and they really feel like contenders for a division title.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home